Old February 18th 04, 04:04 PM
Bob Mowry

Overall a great movie. It has encouraged me to expand my collection
of glider movies (of which this is the first). As a new-to-soaring
pilot, it was very informative to see exactly how a competition is run
(I haven't yet convinced my family that spending a week in Mifflin to
watch the competition is an ideal vacation destination). Also I was
surprised with the quality of the video - it's definitely something
that you can show your non-soaring friends (I'm planning on showing it
to a few coworkers today over lunch).

My other quick thoughts:

The soaring in the snow shower scenes were spectacular. I was a
little surprised to see on video exactly how close to the cloud
bottoms the glider was (I've been that close before but I didn't put
it on tape

I know the whistling has been a topic of discussion lately. I was
more impressed with the summation of the snow experience from fellow
Pennsylvanian Karl "all that snow and crap" Striedieck.

My only minor disappointment with the video is the fact that it isn't
rated G, but likely PG due to minor swearing (actually it isn't rated
at all, but I believe that's the rating it would receive). Something
to keep in mind if you are planning on showing it to younger children
(perhaps this could be edited out in future editions?).

Charlie Spratt has a southern accent. That really doesn't come across
in Soaring magazine like it does in the video.

Overall, a great video and one that I'm sure will now contend for most
watched in our home (maybe it will even unseat current champion
"Finding Nemo" that my 3 and 5 year old enjoy so well).

-bob