Old October 13th 04, 10:49 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Hel,

Great question. Let me give you the simple answer. If you are opposite
(180) a glider and it's climbing better, steepen your bank through 90
degrees of turn, then shallow out for several seconds to shift your
circle to the side of the thermal where you saw the better lift.

Let me take you around the points of the compass.

You see better lift on the south side of the circle. Your are on the
north side (facing West - turning left) Steepen up (60 degress)
through 90 degrees of turn, until you are facing south, then shallow
(not level - about 20 degrees) for a count of three. If you feel a
surge, stick with it for as long as you dare. In either case, you next
adjustment should be to steepen you turn to 60 degrees again. Stay
steep for one full turn, noting differences around the circle, then
adjust accordingly to center on the core at about 40 degrees of bank.
Be sure to watch out for your marker. If he didn't see your
adjustment, you will probably conflict with him as you come around
facing west.

Top of the thermal... lift gets much more difficult to center at the
top of a thermal. I can't offer much help here.

Cheers,

OC

(Hal) wrote in message . com...
Still learning to benefit from thermalling with another glider and so
far have not realized the benefits. If you are opposite another
glider and observing your progress in relationship to the other glider
how do you adjust your path if you see the other glider in better
lift? I seem to have the biggest problem at the top of the thermal
when the other glider has flattened out the bank angle and seems to
stay in better lift.