Old October 19th 04, 03:07 PM
Udo Rumpf

But, what I was getting around to saying is your comment -

The average 45 degree bank thermalling turn takes about
13 - 14 seconds

may be true for you, but not most pilots, based on my observations in
sport and contest flying, where 22+ seconds is typical. Maybe you meant
your average turn?

Nope, I meant my standard thermalling turn in the Nimbus is 14 seconds, 45
degrees and 45 MPH. If the core is small, I'll tighten up to a 60 degree
bank and 48mph. Ballast will, of course, bump those numbers up a little.

Eric, I think your turns are way too shallow and fast to make use of the
strong cores.

Bill Daniels

Eric &Bill
If a stall speed of a glider is 36 kt at a wing loading of 6 lb/sq/ft in a
45 deg.
it will be about 44 kt and at a 60 deg bank it will 50kt.
With a loading of 9lb/sq/ft the stall speed will be 44kt at a 45 deg bank it
will be 53kt and at a 60 deg bank it will be 61 kt.
I do not know what your respective wing loading are but both of you could be
right. It is more beneficial to turn tighter with a lighter wing loading ,
then it is
with a heavier wing loading.
Regards
Udo