Old October 20th 04, 05:31 AM
Jim Vincent

If a wing is replaced by a rotating cylinder, with the forward surface
rotating upward, lift will be produced. The local air velocity is high on
top and low on the bottom. This upward force is known as magnus effect.

The information above comes from my helicopter handbook.

News to me. I've been flying radio control helicopters and never heard of
this. Don't discredit me offhand, most full size rotor heads have no idea what
a pitch curve is or how many degrees they're pulling in fast foward flight
(FFF).

Generally what happens is that the rotor rotating forward generates more lift
because of relative wind. That generates a combined pitching and roll motion.
That rotation is around the vertical axis, the motion you're talking about is
about the lateral axis.

It seems to me that the magnus effect is best exampled by a spinning ball with
top spin, maybe like for golf or baseball. The lift contribution is generally
neglible.

Fire away! ;-)

Jim Vincent
N483SZ