Old February 17th 05, 03:03 PM
rip

There's a substantial difference in the price of the update subscription.

abripl wrote:
There is no problem with experimentals and IFR except maybe that some
CFI's or examiners may not feel like flying in one - but that is an
individual choice.

I already know that an expired card is not valid for real IFR. Maybe I
did not express myself clearly originally. My real question is what is
the difference between Americas and USA only data card. Why would
anyone want to get USA only data card if the Americas has more
teritory? Is there maybe a detail difference? Anybody know?

Dave Butler wrote:

abripl wrote:

I am not IFR rated but plan to start training. I have an

experimental

equiped for IFR with Garmin 300XL GPS (+ VOR). It has an expired
americas database card. Is that sufficient GPS IFR for US

territory?

Or should I get USA specifically and whats the difference?

For a production airplane, there is an AFMS Approved Flight Manual

Supplement

that spells out the limitations of use, like whether the database has

to be

current, etc.

Not sure what happens with Experimentals. Do you need to get your

receiver

approved for IFR from OK City? Do you submit a draft AFMS when you do

that?