Old March 1st 05, 07:45 AM
Ramy Yanetz

ok, so what is the general wisdom for non IFR trained pilots who get caught
on top or get sucked into a cloud: get a T&B and try to use it or practice
benign spiral? Did anyone successfully used benign spiral to descend through
a cloud? How benign is it in strong turbulent?

Ramy

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message

"Jancsika" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
changes in gliders. I'd be using airspeed for pitch information
anyway.

On gliders vario provide a bit more sensitive/reliable indication.

the other hand, tiny changes in bank produce large changes in rate of

turn
in gliders so a 2 minute T&B would be way too sensitive. Gliders need

one
minute or less turn needle.

Yes, and speed will make also significant difference. It's not sure
that you can do a 110km/h 1 spoon turn if you can do a 90km/h 1 spoon
turn...
We do instrument training on SF25 Falke and engine rpm will add an
additional variable to this multidimensional game

/Jancsika

I think it worthwhile to point out that an instrument ticket is the most
difficult pilot rating to get. Most pilots would agree that it's more
difficult than the Airline Transport Pilot rating. Simply put, it's VERY
technical and requires a superb sense of how an aircraft will respond to
tiny control inputs.

Anything less than 100% proficiency and the safety margins are
unacceptable.
Keep that in mind if you are thinking of slapping a T&B in your glider and
going cloud flying.

That said, IF you have the training, proficiency and equipment, and
operate
in a part of the world where it is permitted, cloud flying in a glider is
not only very effective, it's also a lot of fun as our non-USA based
friends
are pointing out.

In a lot of the world, particularly Central and Eastern Europe, the
prevailing weather conditions means that if your are to be a pilot at all,
flying in clouds will be part of the experience. Their pilot training
reflects this. (Our overseas friends will sometimes be astonished that we
permit night flight without an instrument rating.)

In the USA, we are spoiled with vast areas of "Severe Clear" weather that
persists pretty much year-round. As a consequence, our training for
Private
Pilot Glider doesn't address instrument flight at all.

Bill Daniels