Old March 1st 05, 07:24 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Perhaps. I presume there runways adequate for B-747 operation in
Scotland and all those intermediate airports.

Certainly in Scottland since two collided on a runway there. Sondre
Stromfjord in Greenland is long enough (I've seen 747s there) and so is
Keflavik in Iceland (I've seen 747s there too).

I doubt the "whole story" will ever be completely revealed.

I would suspect that the press will drum up enough concern that there will
be an investigation and the story will come out.

Right. But given the BA policy, I'm not sure their input was safety
oriented.

I was not aware that BA had a bad safety record or that the passengers were
exposed to much risk.

That brings up another issue. What would you estimate the flight
characteristics of a B-747 to be if the other engine on the wing with
the dead engine had failed? I would guess it would be virtually
uncontrollable without reducing power significantly resulting in a
forced descent.

I think that four engine airliners have to be able to fly with two engines
inoperative on one side but I am not certain. They can probably fly on one
outboard engine at certain weights.

And another issue is, if the engine failure had been a result of fuel
contamination, how did the PIC determine that the remaining fuel was
safe for continued transcontinental flight?

That seems remote. Has it ever happened? Could it even happen? Jet
engines can burn almost anything that is flamable. Seems unlikely that you
could even find enough of anything, except Jet fuel, at LAX to fill a 747!
Maybe they know why the engine failed.

Additionally, when the engine failed, ATC mentioned sparks being seen.
How did the PIC determine there was no structural damage to the
airframe as a result of the engine failure?

I think airliners are required to have burst protection built into the
nacelles to contain failed engine debris. I know that the 777 has this (saw
it on TV!)

I would fly either BA or another airline based on schedule and fare. Are
you safer flying four engine BA airplane or on an somebody else's two
engine
airplane?

I don't have the requisite experience in airliner operation to begin
to answer that question.

I don't either, I just think cheaper is better.

I have found over the years that when a group of smart people come to a
decision that seems crazy to me, it only seems crazy because I didn't have
all the facts that they had. Based on this, I give people the benefit of
the doubt.

Mike
MU-2