Old March 4th 05, 01:22 AM
Bob Korves

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Bob Korves" bkorves@winfirstDECIMALcom wrote:

A pattern slip with inside rudder and the outside wing further down than
usual sounds a lot like a skid to me. I don't want any part of it.

Forward slips to either side are not skids. In a typical
left pattern, this would be left rudder and right
aileron/wing down on base.

However there are some good reasons not to slip outside wing
down that have nothing to do with whether it's a skid. The
main one is that, even if there's no wind, you would have to
reverse the bank to turn the corner onto final. Slipping
inside wing down makes that turn easier, and if you are
slipping to kill altitude, you can do that throughout the
turn.

I agree that a slip is not a skid (though really they are the same except
for your frame of reference) and that straight slips with either wing down
will work. It's the transition from an "outside wing down" base leg slip
with extra inside rudder to a turn to final that is developing too slowly
because of the outside wing being too low... well, it just seems to me that
the slip could very easily change into a skid to final. If the slip was
correctly ended and followed by a coordinated turn to final, then no
problem, but if one tried to do it all at once then the temptation would be
to increase rudder into the turn even more than the slip required, and now
we have a potential problem. Am I missing something?
-Bob