Old March 14th 05, 06:13 PM
Mark James Boyd

Nyal,

He already has a commercial ASEL rating. So he doesn't need
to take another commercial written test anyway. Getting the extra
10 PIC flights is cheap, and the PTS is almost identical.

There's just no compelling reason to get a Private instead of
a Commercial glider rating if someone has the aeronautical
experience to do it, in my opinion. No downside (for gliders
anyway).

In article ,
Nyal Williams wrote:
I don't want to be a killjoy, but I do have a question:
Why, if you have never been in a glider and plan never
to rent one, do you want to start off by planning to
add a commercial rating right off the bat?

I encourage you to get the private pilot glider rating
and get some experience before adding the glider commercial.
Don't go for bragging rights with absolutely no depth;

you won't impress anyone except those not worthy of
the effort.

At 16:00 13 March 2005, Mitty wrote:
I'm looking at adding a commercial glider rating this
summer. Never been in a
glider, but my hunch is that it will be a good learning
experience even though
I'll never fly one for hire.

So ... trying to divine the meaning of Part 61.129(f)2

'20 flights in a glider as PIC' and '5 solo flights'

But ... I can't log PIC time while getting dual instruction
since I'm not rated
in the airplane. So, I'm really looking at 20 solo
flights. Right?

(The only way I could see someone having 20 flights
as PIC and but only 5 solo
flights would be if the person had a fairly new Private
glider rating and then
took dual for the Commercial. Right?)

TIA

--