Old March 17th 05, 11:27 PM
Raphael Warshaw

Any time you divide a group at some breakpoint (like 55 years of age), the
means will be different; if there are more than a few on each side, they
are likely to be statistically significantly different from each other as
well.

For the Choice Reaction-time "contest" at the convention, the contestants
were fairly evenly divided with 101 competitors in the 55 class and 88 in
the seniors. The mean ages were 66.26 vs. 42.59 (p0.000). If you drop the
"juniors" (age26), you raise the mean for the 55 class to 45.44.

The usual disclaimers, of course, apply.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...
Whille we r on the subject of the Senior's Contest....has
anyone analyzed the average age for these guys vs a
'regular' contest...

Is there in fact any significant average age difference
between them?

At 20:00 17 March 2005, John Sinclair wrote:
Hi Gary,
I have no illusions about changing the mind-set of
the Neanderthals. I'm continuing this discussion in
the hope that contest managers and CD's will see the
potential dangers in using the finish gate. Who knows,
maybe a Director or two might just be listening, or
even the rules committee?
JJ

At 05:30 17 March 2005, wrote:
Emotion tends to remove the analytical, I have found
it is very
difficult to convince anyone of your position when
their's has become
established. For me, the 'safety' equation more than
balances the
'fun' equation. When you are finishing at 50 feet
and 150 mph and
something goes wrong there really aren't too many options.
Rember
'Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it probably won't
work and it annoys
the pig.'