Old April 6th 05, 05:30 PM
John D. Abrahms

Dave S wrote in message link.net...

Ok.. correct. They are considered "Experimental - Amatuer Built". They
can be one of a kind, unique designs, or they can be "one-off" copies of
existing plans-built or kit-built designs.

Yes. Up to this it's clear for me.

Not quite the case. THere are several certified, Normal Category
aircraft out there that are composite construction. Lancair has a
factory built product, and Cirrus is actually the best selling factory
built GA airplane in the world based on last years sales figures. They
are making more airframes than any Cessna model.

Really? What about the canard designs (SC01 Speed Canard, LongEZE,
VariEZE etc)? Are they also normal category?

It is listed as an Experimental because it does not have an FAA issued
Type Certificate in the Normal, Utility or Aerobatic categories. The
manufacturer did not pursue certification testing to obtain this status.

I understand.

For the short term, normal/utility/aerobatic cert isn't gonna happen. IF
it was, then the airplane would fall under the "Large or Turbine
Powered" part of CFR 14, part 91. I want to say (without looking it up
right now) that large or turbine powered aircraft require a type rating.
This is easily summarized (and probably over simplified) as a checkride
to ATP standards in the aircraft (and ATP candidates require over 1200
hours to begin with), and a comprehensive understanding of the aircraft
and all its systems.

I know that a type rating is necessary. But I wonder why one of the
requirements are 1000+ hrs PIC time. I mean, You still can fly with a
PPL on such thing...

Do all turbine airplanes require the 1000+hrs?

The LOA process is essentially a "waiver" to the
type rating process, since the airplane doesn't have a "type
certificate" against which the rating can be issued. LOA's are not
something I have experience with, and I may be mistaken on the details
here. The list here WILL correct me if I'm wrong.. I'm sure.

Let's see? ;-)

You CAN use an experimental plane for training. It just cannot be used
for commercial purposes. So, if someone wants to TEACH you for free in
their's or someone elses experimental, they can. THey cannot charge you
rent, and if it was your plane, you couldn't hold the airframe out for
hire. A new exception/waiver that is in place now is that "transition
training" is now available for the Factory and lay CFI's to provide
training in type to prospective and new owners of experimental airplanes

So that means an experimental can't be used commercially except for
providing training to pilots who want to fly such a thing, right? But
this again (sorry) makes me wonder about things like this:

The Jet Warbird Training Center
http://www.jetwarbird.com/
They not only offer type ratings but also general flight time in their
jets, and they also offer "jet orientation flights", which is much
more than just providing training to CFIs and prospective/new owners
of such airplanes. I assume that all of their planes fall into the
experimental category.

Or what about the "National Test Pilot School"
http://www.ntps.com/
They provide training for test pilots on several airplanes which for
sure are experimental (i.e. the Saab Draken, the MB326M Impala, the
MS760A Paris Jet, or the NDN1).

I also know that there are some companies that use experimental
airplanes like the Dornier Alpha Jet for flight tests.

I wonder how they can do that?

Thanks for your answers!

JJ