Old April 9th 05, 12:15 AM
BA-100

"Nafod40"
egroups.com:

BA-100 wrote:

My question is, would it be possible to laminate your own shell using

vacuum bagging?

I would do some googling on "cold molding" and boatbuilding. Very
common method for building hulls. It's also how the SPruce Goose and
Mosquito bombers were built. You'd find...

Yeah, knew that, though I'm not so sure it's suitable for this particular
airplane. Unfortunately, I've never seen one of the molded ones, only the
one in the NASM and that was built using scarfed rings. If I'm not
mistaken, the molded ones were made of single sheets of veneer made into a
ply in the mold, but I may be wrong about that.

http://www.nwmarinedesign.com/coldmold.htm

You can build up a structure as strong as fiberglass but lighter with
this technology.

Mmm, that's the idea! Plus it just looks beautiful. I don't think they were
made in quite the same way as the cold molded boats are though.