Old May 12th 05, 10:59 AM
Michelle P

Jay,
Regardless of whatever a controller tells you keep your squawk and keep
talking until you are on the ground. They are good about telling you
that now but they weren't when all of this started.
Flying into Dulles or Leesburg is pretty easy.
While not required, file your ADIZ flight plan with Leesburg FSS. 866
225 7410. Call and make sure it is available before you take off. It
avoids problem in the air.
I file four to five a night with them, most of the briefers know my
voice at this point.
I was in the air over the sky's of DC when all the mess happened
yesterday. I would have never know if my observer had not told me. The
controller in my sector seemed un-concerned.
Michelle

Jay Honeck wrote:

In June we are planning to fly to Washington Dulles International (IAD) to
participate in Margy Natalie's "Reach for the Stars: Become a Pilot" Family
Day at the National Air & Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy facility. (Yes, we're
going to be a museum piece for the day. Think: Disney animatronic
Presidents on display -- except that it will be Mary, me and the kids
standing by our plane, talking to museum visitors about our family flying
experiences!)

The trip looks pretty easy -- 666 nm, in about 4:41. Weather permitting,
we'll be there by lunch.

However, after hearing all the horror stories about F-16s and TFRs, it seems
wise to approach the Usenet Altar of Knowledge, and ask those familiar with
all the flight restrictions around Washington, D.C. for any tips on how best
to approach Dulles VFR. What's the best way to get in?

Thanks!