Old August 19th 03, 04:54 AM
ArtP

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:56:46 GMT, "Marty Ross"
wrote:

I'll see what the regs say, but from your experience, how does an IPC
compare to an IFR checkride? Is it as objective/standardized? Since it's
done by an instructor (not a DE), I would think not...

The CFII is signing his name in your log book, so, for their own
protection, I don't think they would knowingly pass an incompetent. I
have had them range from 2 hours to 5 hours (I suspect the 5 hour guy
was just trying to get some SR20 time). For the most part they are
like any check ride. The better you are at something, the less time
they spend on it. The lowest score I ever got on a written was 99 as a
result the oral portions were only a few minutes.

For an IPC, it doesn't take long to do a couple approaches, partial
panel, and unusual attitudes. By then the CFII will know if you need
more work. If not, there is not much point in dragging it out unless
the CFII needs the hours in which case he won't be giving me my next
IPC.