Old June 7th 05, 02:27 PM
JJ Sinclair

You described the fairing installation procedure well JJ, and that is
just how I did mine.
But do not forget to describe sawing off the 4 inches of each flap
root. Otherwise it is real difficult to move the flaps.
Dick Johnson

Now I know why I couldn't move the flaps on that Nimbus 3. Considered
trying to get into standard class with it, but as Dick points out, one
must remove the 4" of flap that otherwise would get trapped inside the
fairing. Then plug the open end of the flap and add a fence. I could
play a tune with my Nimbus when just moving the flaps up and
down----Weeeee-----wooooo----wrrrrr-----weeeee. This mod stopped all
that, quiet is good, right Dick?

As for the Nimbus 2 or other ships, I would consider adapting an
existing fairing to match your ship (cut and paste, trim and adapt)
Making a fairing from scratch involves a lot of up-side-down work with
urethane foam dust falling into your eyes. Most modern airfoils have a
similar curve. I did something on these lines to a 301 Libelle about
100 years ago, then made a hinged canopy, she was a hummer.
JJ