Old June 22nd 05, 03:53 AM
Gord Beaman

"Jim Knoyle" wrote:
snip
Reminds me of a funny but true story involving a 727. No, a 727
does not have an HST. (only our 747-400 did )
As many may know, some model 727s require 'tow fuel,' which
is a minimum amount of fuel to prevent it sitting on it's tail when
the airstair is raised. Normally an easy operation at the terminal
gate.
In this case, a charter 727 for one of the '49ers away games
parked way over in our cargo area to offload the team to their
busses as they usually did. On this day they were having a problem
rounding up a fuel truck to upload 'tow fuel' so the word went out
over the radio for about a dozen or so bodies to substitute for fuel
during the short time it would take to reposition the aircraft.
Didn't take much persuasion since most of us are aware of how
well a #1 sports team is fed. In no time the front of that 727 was full
and the party had begun. I guess I should mention that our company
had a well published (and sometimes ignored) rule that an employee
caught raiding the galleys would be fired. :-(
It happens that the Ops. Manager heard the call go out as he was
driving around in his truck and decided to lend his substantial girth.
Last to arrive, as soon as he reached the top of the airstair it was raised
but as soon as he realized what was going on up front he realized
what a compromizing situation he was in. Being a good person
by nature he decided to stay aft instead of coming up front and
firing all of our asses! Even when somebody yelled out, "Hey George,
you're cancelling half of us out!"
As usual that ice cream and cake tasted gooood.

Good man!...reminds me of 'manning pool' (basic in the RCAF). we
used to have 'lights out' in the barracks at some ungodly hour
like 10 PM or something and had a tough decip Warrant Officer
named Duke, who'd show up damned near every night at midnight for
a 'surprise bed check'...every night seconds before Duke stepped
into the room someone'd hoarsely whisper "Duke's comin!"...we
found out months later that the whisperer was Duke...
--

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
and it must be working 'cause I'm