Old June 24th 05, 12:10 PM
Bill Gribble

Edward Lockhart writes
Its not about how far the wing has dropped, its about whether the
glider has started to rotate about the dropped wing.

I think //that's// the answer the question was looking for.

If you've been slow to intiate the recovery, the glider will start to
yaw/rotate around the dropped wing and once this has happened, your
first action should be full opposite rudder.

Or the nose drop self-corrects the stall and the glider develops into a
spiral dive, in which case centring the controls and kicking in a
boot-full of opposite rudder is only going to delay recovery in the face
of a now rapidly approaching Vne.

Despite knowing the difference, being practised and familiar with the
characteristics, recovery and differences of both, it's the prospect of
mistaking a spiral dive for a spin in the adrenaline rush of the moment
that actually still scares me, despite the fact that I quite enjoy being
upside down in a glider

--
Bill Gribble
http://www.scapegoatsanon.demon.co.uk