Old June 29th 05, 12:46 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Diederik wrote:

Mark Wright wrote in message
At 14:24 28 June 2005, F.L. Whiteley wrote:

At my club we do something similar with winch launch
radio signals during
the launch process. Nothing else is accepted.

'Up slack, up slack, up slack'
'Go, go, go'
'Stop, stop, stop'

Forgive me but this must sound like Yogi Bear conducting
the launch ! In the U.K. we have the following system
to help avoid confusion of a mishear

Take up slack ( Three words )
All Out ( Two words )
Stop ( One word )

To get rid of radio failures, bad transmission, confusion or mishear
etc. etc.
We in the Netherlands generaly do not use radio's at all. We use a
bright light: flashing (take up slack) full (all out), out (stop!) for
any other communication with the winch we use radio if neccesary.
Sometimes a large white board (diameter 1 meter) in a pole is used: up
(take up slak), down (all out), waving left to right, right to left
(stop!!)

If the winch has the sun in the back then sometimes the withe board is
difficult to see but a bright light (from a car for instance) is
always vissible.

Diederik

I've used lights, radios, and flags at both flat and uneven airfields,
including staging an intermediate flag person midway, well off to the side,
when the launch point was not visible. Of the three, lights are probably
the best, but, like flags, are line of sight.

Frank