Old July 5th 05, 05:57 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Ian Johnston wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:59:24 UTC, M B
wrote:

Is there any commonly known way to test a weak
link non-destructively (other than launching a glider)?

The Tost system uses two in parallel, one slightly longer than the
other. Whoever hooks up the glider should always check that both links
are intact and that only one is taking the load.

Ian

--

We've gone to using a single TOST weak link. Over the years, the metal
sleeve gets dented, making inspection suspect without a time consuming

NDT would work if you jigged up an accurate test bed. I would be more
concerned with rope weak links used in aerotowing than TOST weak links if I
wanted to test something. From many years of observation I'm pretty
confident that the TOST links perform as expected.

Frank