Old October 11th 03, 07:55 PM

In my own defense, I would like to say that a bit of enroute IFR
shortly after obtaining the ticket is exactly what I was looking for in a
"safe learning experience." I knew I didn't need to worry about the
weather at the end, so I could work on working the system.

The light ice was unexpected, but with 10 degree of temperature
separation between the icing at freezing altitude and the MEA enroute, it
was about as "safe" as an icing experience can be. Besides, unless you
mothball the plane from October to May, ice is something that you might
accidentally find yourself in. In a higher stress situation, the overrich
mixture engine miss I experienced while climbing from 7-9 with carb heat
might have required more neurons than I could spare. Now this goes in the
memory bank to poll later.

: 1. You just got your certificate - be safe(r).
VFR only? Aside from the unexpected ice, that's about the only
thing safer than some enroute soup.

: 2. Don't play with ice - it kills.
Yes it does. This flight taught me to respect how quickly ice can
be found, even when unexpected. Since I'm not willing to stop flying for
6 months when it's possible to do so, I'm trying to learn more about icing
potential, etc.

: 3. That was not a safe learning experience. It was an experience, right
: after getting your certificate, that tucked away a thought in your head that
: "it is safe to fly in light ice", and the more of these types of experiences
: you tuck away, the more slippery the icy slope becomes - so to speak.

Again, I maintain that it was as safe as an accidental encounter
with ice could be.

: You broke FARs, you were not operating within the limitations of your POH,
: and this was not a safe learning experience. Don't think for a minute it
: was anything other.

There are *huge* discussions elsewhere about whether "flights into
known icing conditions" mean "conditions favorable to icining" or actual
reports of icing.

: Just my view...
Which you are entitled to, and I (somewhat) agree. It's about
managing risks and I'm certainly not about to go trapsing around looking
to turn my Cherokee into a popsicle.

: BTW: Congratulations on getting your Instrument Rating.

Thanks...

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *