Old August 16th 05, 03:31 PM
Bill Daniels

Default Thinking about handicapping contest weather

I've been replaying on-line contest .IGC files with Henryk Birecki's
"GPS_LOG WinCE". (This is a training function to learn Henryk's software)
It's possible to set the software so auto-select the McCready number based
on actual thermal strengths. Other software can do the same thing.

The average M number is a pretty good way to determine how good the day was.
For example, one day might be a M= 6.1 and the result is some very long,
fast flights. Another might be a M=2.2 and shorter and slower flights
result.

My thought is that it might be possible to run the day's contest results
through similar software to determine the average M number and use that
number to handicap the weather in addition to handicapping the gliders.
This is a simplistic way to reduce the day's soaring weather to a single
number.The result would be to make the contest more equal for different
gliders.

That would interest me because my Nimbus 2C is not competitive with it's
handicap in strong weather since the US Sports Class disallows water
ballast. On the other hand, smaller gliders are not competitive in weak
weather where the unballasted Nimbus is at it's best. Canceling WX effects
could make the Sports Class more attractive.

Thoughts?

Bill Daniels