Old August 27th 05, 03:10 PM
Steven Barnes

Hmm. We may have our 2nd KI214 nav head (w/glide slope) going bad. If so,
I'd like to get a newer radio & head (w/glide slope). We've got a KX-155
with a VOR/LOC only on the top.

I'm interested to hear some of the costs involved (unit, cdi, installation,
etc).

"Blanche" wrote in message
Mike Noel wrote:
I'm planning on having my avionics tech install the LS 30 along with a GI
106A CDI as my number one NavCom. All of my buddies were suggesting the
KNX-155 but the Garmin looks like a much more functional and high tech

unit.
Does anyone have any comments on the LS 30 GI 106A combination?

Typos abound here...you did mean the SL30, right?

I had one installed 3 years ago and love it. For IFR training it
can't be beat, since there's the To/From button. I really like the
"monitor" button where I can tune/talk on one freq and listen to
another. It's small, sound quality is good (dependent on the
headset/speakers), easy to remove for repair (if needed) because it
comes out the front (which means you can remove and re-install once
the tray and connections have been installed by the avionics shop).

Plus, because it's a "slim line" model, it frees up space in your
stack, just in case you think of something to put there later on.

By removing the two dead Narco's and installing the SL30 with a
TKM (slide in replacement for the narco), I now have this excellent
empty space that is the exact size needed for Garmin 4xx (probably
the GPS400 since I don't need the VOR or COM option).