Old December 1st 03, 01:54 PM

Jeff wrote:
: Last winter I took a flight into clouds, icing was forcasted at 10,000 ft,
: we went up to 9000, broke out in between some layers, I was with my first
: instrument instructor, he wanted to be in the clouds, so he asked control
: for 11,000 so we would be in the clouds again, I told him icing was reported
: at 10k, he said dont worry, we will be ok, we can always go up or down...I
: told him ok, but if you kill me I will come back and haunt you forever. I
: will tell you right now, its a big mistake to go into known or forcasted
: icing. I wont do it again. I told him after we encountered some problems
: that I was going back and called center. He was mad, but it didnt matter, I
: fired his ass as soon as we were on the ground.

I don't think that this was an unreasonable thing for an
instructor to do (assuming you weren't in Colorado at the time). If
you've got at least a few thousand feet between the freezing level and the
MEA, you've got an out. This is assuming light rime ice, of course. My
instructor put me in the clouds while working on the instrument time for
my *Private* license, and we picked up a bit of ice while there. At the
time it freaked me out, but in retrospect it was pretty safe (at least
3000' of clear, above-freezing air below), and made me realize how
dangerous ice could be.

What kills people is when they fly in it with either a disregard
for its danger, and/or without a safety out.

-Cory
* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *