Old September 7th 05, 08:35 PM
Rich S.

wrote in message
oups.com...

In your text you said the gunner fies when the ME 109
is directly behind the B17. For orthogonal ground
tracks, he cannot hit the ME 109 if it is *anywhere* behind
the B17 no matter where he aims because the flight
paths of the ME 109 cannot intersect the path
the bullet takes to the ground.

That's why, in the text, I also added that he "led" the ME-109 exactly
enough. Did you read the entire sentence? As I said, perhaps I wasn't clear.
He fires directly behind the B-17. The ME-109 is on its way to cross the
flightpath of the B-17.

In your illustration, the gunner fires straight back
before the Me-109 is directly behind the B17. He can hit
if he fires at precisely the moment his gun crosses the
flight path of the Me-109.

Not so. The bullet simply falls to Earth and the ME-109 passes safely 50
yards (or so) behind the B-17.

Rich "Don't use them 3-silable words like 'orthogonal'" S.