Old September 8th 05, 04:17 AM
Eric Greenwell

Stefan wrote:

The answer is (surprize!) practice.

I would add - "and proper instruction". Practicing poor technique will
mean a long time learning. So, find a good instructor if you can, and
read the towing section in soaring manuals several times.

Initially you get thrown around as you described. Then you actually
begin to fly behind the tug. Later you'll find yourself staying in a
reasonable position, ceasing to endager yourself and the tow pilot.
Still later, you'll stay in that position even in turns. First in
shallow turns, later in steeper turns, too. Gradually your yaw string
will stay more and more centered. And someday you'll stay behind the tug
even in moderate turbulence. But it's a long way to go.

Not so long if the instruction is good! My instructor was not very
experienced, and taught a poor technique. By the time time I was an
instructor, I could teach a student much more quickly than he did when
he taught me.

I realize "long" is undefined here, and Stefan and I might be talking
about the same amount of time. I think he will agree with the importance
of a good instructor in speeding the learning, however.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA