Old September 8th 05, 09:47 PM
Peter Clark

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:32:14 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:56:22 +0100, Peter wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

Consider also how inaccurate timing is. In a typical GA airplane, 100 feet
above DH on the GS is about 10 seconds away from the ILS MAP; what makes
you think your FAF-MAP timing is accurate to within 10 seconds?

This is interesting. I've been taught (FAA IR) to always time the
approach, even an ILS.

I am not sure what the point is, except in the case of a loss of GS,
on a no-DME approach.

Airline pilots I've spoken to never time anything when going down an
ILS. If they lose GS, they will go up right away.

There is no requirement to time an ILS approach in the FAA IR-PTS
(Practical Test Standards). For what it's worth, I was taught that timing
of an ILS was optional.

I was taught to time an ILS because there are places like BED (ILS 11
or 29) where without a GPS you can't ID the missed approach point if
the glideslope fails without timing the approach.