Old October 6th 05, 10:08 PM
rps

Steven P. McNicoll said:

"If you begin descent when ten miles from DEPRE you've busted your
altitude.
The last instruction was 'descend and maintain 3,000, join the runway
36
localizer', approach clearance was issued at five miles from DEPRE."

I thought the last instruction was "AWI123 cleared ILS runway three six
contact tower one one eight point seven." You may not be able to
intercept the glideslope from 3000 (e.g., if the signal is weak there),
which is why I suggest descending.

According to the plate, if you were flying the PT, upon crossing DEPRE
southbound, you can descend to 2700 and track outbound on the PT and
then descend to 2200 once you've begun turning inbound on the PT. The
PT area includes the entire area south of DEPRE and west of the
localizer for a radius of 10 nm. So, if you're on the localizer, I
believe you can safely descend to 2700 so that you have a chance of
capturing the glideslope from below. I suggested to let ATC know so
that ATC can correct you if that's not what they want you to do.