Old January 10th 04, 01:19 PM
Tony Cox

"Julian Scarfe" wrote in message

The "maneuvering speed" placarded in the cockpit is not Va. It is Vo. It

is
defined by 23.1507 and the placard is mandated by 23.1563. "Vs is a
selected speed that is not *greater* than Vsvn". My *s. At or below Vo,
the criteria that are generally (and erroneously) thought to apply below

Va,
do apply, i.e. the wing will stall before the positive limit maneuvering
load factor is exceeded.

Indeed. Vo was discussed in the thread in rec.aviation.piloting
that I referred to earlier. As I understand it, Vo is a more recent
certification requirement. Not sure then it came in, but 23.1507 is
dated 1993. My 1966 182 doesn't come with a Vo.

Certainly, terminology caused a lot of confusion the last time
this was discussed, and I expect it will again if the thread
continues!

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.