Old October 23rd 05, 10:10 AM
John McDoe

Default Verification that Heated Pitot is working

iflycozy wrote:
Question to you electrical designer gurus:

Here is what I would like to do and Jim Wier suggested that I post this
here. I want an indicator on my Cozy homebuilt airplane to show me
that my heated pitot is actually working when I turn on the switch on
the instrument panel. So, the light will go out (with the switch still
in the on position) if the heated pitot stops working for some reasons
(but not because it tripped the circuit breaker). So, how can I build
such a device or circuit? I would appreciate specific parts or
identification of parts as I am an amateur. This is a 12 volt DC
system and the heating element draws 7 amps. I know I can not use a
LED in series because it would blow the milli-second I turned the unit
on. I know I can't use a light or lamp in parallel because it would
not indicate if the heated pitot was on or off. So that is my dilemma.
Please help.