Old October 29th 05, 02:25 PM
Mike Spera

Default Door locks?

Paul Tomblin wrote:

The door locks on our fleet (4 PA-28s and 1 PA-32R) all suck. At least
two of them don't even lock at any given time, and we're always replacing
them. There is a guy on the field who replaced his lock with sometime a
little more substantial. But I've seen him doing other stuff that I'm
doubtful of the legality, so I have to ask: Is there any legal reason why
we keep putting those piece of **** Piper locks on?

I have always removed my GPS and other valuables from the plane. One
reason is the locks, the other is the relative ease with which a thief
could walk around the airport lifting objects with little challenge.
This is despite all the "safety" measures the city put in at great
expense (fluff to show the public and the FAA that "something" was done).

The previous owner used to keep the LOGBOOKS and POH in the plane
(parked outside at a tiedown - remote location on the field!!!). I even
take my POH with me. The only thing I leave behind are the headsets.
Looking at my insurance coverage, it is pretty weak for headsets - only
$500.

I was looking at the lock and thinking about an upgrade. But that would
only force the thief to royally screw up the door or break a window to
get in. Not sure I want them to do that.

Now...remote entry with key fob, an alarm system, and a "clucking
chicken" with flashing landing light every time I used it... priceless!

Mike