Old January 31st 04, 01:14 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:
My filed route didn't include GEE, but I'd filed "Direct BUF v84 YXU ...",
so I guess I would have flown the airway that connects GEE to BUF.

Seems like a reasonable plan. Going direct BUF would be more in tune
with the letter of how the rule is written, though, since that's what
you filed and were told to expect. On the other hand, in a lost comm
situation, there's a good argument to be made for staying on airways,
since they guarantee nav signal reception and terrain clearance. On the
third hand, if you've got GPS, and are above the OROCA, going direct
seems like the right thing to do.

kind of strange to be out of contact with radar, radio and the
horizon all at once.

Why? Radar and radio contact with ATC are just conveniences. Neither
is necessary to fly the airplane.