Old August 16th 03, 08:33 PM
Timbo

Not entirely sure - heard secondhand, but while the EAA is a 501(c)3,
Airventure, is a FOR PROFIT organization. Interested in seeing Airventure's
FInancial information...

Timbo

"Ed Wischmeyer" wrote in message

I have been going to OSH for the last 5 years, but I get the distinct
impression that the EAA is screwing just about everyone it can screw.

For
instance, airplane camping and admission for the whole week runs into

the
hundreds of dollars. What do you get for it?

So where does all this money go? Or am I being unrealistic. Either way,
please tell me - I sure would like to know. Or is the EAA just another
greedy commercial enterprise?

First, EAA is a 501(c)3 corporation, i.e., charitable, tax exempt.

Where did your money go? Some of it goes to keep the dues down and to
run an organization that can, on the same day, attract and impress the
Secretary of Transportation, the Administrator of the FAA, and the Chair
of the NTSB, not to mention a couple of senators and representatives --
and to help protect your freedoms to fly by working with the regulators,
not just the Congress. Then there's the free airshow, free workshops
(which include free material to practice on), the free forums, the free
portapotties, the free onsite health care, free delivery from town of
prescription medicines, and the most comprehensive set of exhibitors to
visit with, plus the work during the rest of the year to get Sport
Pilot through so lots more people can fly, the work on making aviation
gasoline available after tetraethyl lead goes away because of economic
issues. Bear in mind that the facility only does two events per year
(it's rented out to Ducks Unlimited for their annual shebang), so there
are expenses that cannot be amortized year around.

Other folks have compared prices to "comparable" events with results
favorable to the EAA.

Best advice? Get plugged in, get a volunteer job. It's lots more fun
that way.

Ed Wischmeyer, volunteer for 9 years