Old December 14th 05, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Safety pilot - logging cross-country

Personally, I don't think flying as a safety pilot for
another pilot on a x-country flight provides me the same x-country
'experience' as making the flight myself

In general, I agree, and based on my most recent interpretation of the
regs through this discussion and further looking at the regs, I would
say that it would definitely be a stretch to log XC PIC time while
acting as a safety pilot.

As far as "experience" goes, though... If you participate in the
planning of the flight and are involved in making sure the flight stays
on track, I don't see how you get any less experience out of the flight
than the manipulator of the controls. Once that bird is airbourne, it
pretty much flies itself and we merely become navigators. I think both
occupants benefit equally from an experience standpoint.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and actually agree on what's
loggable and what isn't. I'm just suggesting that as a right seat
passenger, of any flight, I feel like I gain valuable experience (even
though I can't log it) and only feel deprived of any landing
experiences.

Best Regards,
Todd