Old December 16th 05, 09:20 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Amphib decks commanded by SWOs ?

Yofuri wrote:
Mike Weeks wrote:
Does anyone have any knowledge (general or otherwise) as to when the
USN changed its policy regarding authorizing surface warfare officers
to command the large amphib decks (the LPHs/LHAs/LHDs) ??

I'm thinking it didn't happen until after the 1970s. TIA.

MW

During my time with the gator-freighters in '81-83, all LPH CO's and
XO's were aviators. LHA's had SWO CO's and alternating XO's. TRIPOLI
(LPH-10) had a photo board of their CO's back to commissioning in '64
and they were all aviators.

Thanks Rick. Further digging strongly suggests that only aviators or
NFOs commanded LPHs until the last was decommissioned.

And I found one early example of a SWO commanding an LHA (Saipan), so I
have to assume that was the policy from the get-go when the LHAs came
on-line -- the first in 1976.

MW