Old March 10th 04, 02:48 PM
Teacherjh

I recently did 6 approaches to get back current again, but I forgot to
do a hold. My last hold was less than 6 months ago, so I'm still legal
for a few more days. What counts as a hold to fit that vaguely worded
requirement?

- A self-assigned hold while flying solo VFR in VMC?
- A self-assigned hold while flying under foggles with a safety pilot
while VFR in VMC?
- A self-assigned hold while flying under foggles with a CFII
while IFR in VMC?
- A controller assigned hold while IFR in VMC?
- A controller assigned hold while IFR in IMC?
- A hold on a PC-ATD?

Also, what constitutes a hold?
- Doing the entry?
- Doing one full circuit?

It's (of course) not defined in the FARs, one must infer. I would infer that
the hold must be done in actual or simulated instrument conditions. I'd say
the entry is not enough, you need to do at least a full circuit... enough to
become "established" in the hold (timing an outbound leg, testing your timing
on the inbound, making a wind correction on the next outbound, and testing it
on the next inbound. If you haven't applied a wind correction, I would say
that you haven't done enough "hold" to even test to see if you are ok at it.

I would infer that the hold does not need to be controller assigned. It can be
self assigned, if your assignment of direction and orientation is independent
of your present heading.

If the PC-ATD is certified for logging instrument time, then I would infer that
a hold done there would be fine. Howver, in order for the time to count (and
the hold to count) there must be an instructor preseent and supervising
(according to my understanding of logging flight simulator time)

Jose