Old December 31st 05, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default New helicopter designs

Stu;

A gentleman sent me three pages out of William Hunt's book. The pages cover
his patent for this rotor with torque-pitch coupling. He also suggests that
the collective lever could be eliminated.

I will attach the three pages to an e-mail to you.

The technical and anecdotal information on these few pages was so
interesting that the book is now on order.

Dave

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
Dave: Thanks for the idea for an article. I'll look into that. On the
other hand if there is no collective pitch control available to the
blades,
autorotation is going to be at least problematical. --

Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
P. O. Box 1585
Inyokern, CA 93527
(760) 377-4478
(760) 408-9747 general and layout cell
(760) 608-1299 technical and advertising cell

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
Stu,

"....has demonstrated flight but is not mechanically capable of
autorotation. Am I missing something?"

Re autorotation;

It might be of interest to know that the first production helicopter, the
Flettner FL-282 had a rotor governor. In addition, Igor Sikorsky's chief
rotor designer, William Hunt, invented a rotor governor for the R-5. The
rotor governor provides automatic entry into autorotation.

Perhaps an article on this subject in your 'Experimental Helo' magazine
would be of interest.

Dave

"Stuart Fields" wrote in message

There are several firms offering either plans for, or kits, for

homebuilt
helicopters that have little if any supporting actual flite test data.
Yet
apparently there are willing buyers out there willing to part with
their
money for these subjects of marketing rhetoric. Even EAA gave some

notice
of one of the offerings which adds or implies some credibility to the
offering. In this case, the aircraft has demonstrated flight but is

not
mechanically capable of autorotation. Am I missing something? Are

there
that many people out there that just believe the marketing rhetoric
without
having seen a demonstration or having access to an independent test
report?
I know that I don't part with tens of thousands of dollars just based
on
the
advertising.