Old March 22nd 04, 02:34 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(Andrew Sarangan) wrote:

The frequency I called was the definitely the clearance delivery
frequency for the uncontrolled field, not the approach control
frequency. However, now that you mention it, it seems quite possible
that the approach controller could have been the guy handling the CD
RCO frequency. However, that does not explain the strangeness of this
situation. Had he asked me to call FSS and left it at that, I would
not have considered that strange. But he asked me to call FSS OR call
approach once airborne, which implied that in order to give a
clearance on the ground I would have to file with FSS, but an airborne
clearance could be had without filing with FSS.

Let me respond to this in two parts.

First, the regulatory issue. The FARs (91.something or other) say that
UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED BY ATC, you need to file a flight plan to
get an IFR clearance. Giving a pop-up is authorization, but the
controller doesn't have to do it. So, he's certainly within his rights
to refuse to issue you an IFR clearance if you havn't filed with FSS
first.

Now, on to reality. We all know that pop-ups get issued all the time,
so clearly the authorization we're talking about above gets done quite
routinely. So routinely, in fact, that many pilots don't even realize
it's something special.

Now, the question is, why is he willing to "otherwise authorize" you in
the air, but not on the ground? If he issues you a clearance (well,
technically, a release) on the ground at a non-towered field, he's got
to reserve a pretty big hunk of airspace for you until he gets you in
radar contact. If you ask for a popup in the air, he can get you radar
identified before he issues you your clearance, so the impact to his
traffic flow is a lot smaller. From his point of view, an in-air pop-up
is easier on his.

So, it sounds like you've got a little bit of one-sided horse trading
going on here. What the controller is really saying is, "If you do me a
favor by letting me get radar contact before issuing your clearance,
I'll do you a favor by not making you talk to FSS".

From your point of view, the question you need to ask yourself is, "How
likely is it that I can provide my own visual separation from terrain
and other traffic and maintain legal VFR until I'm in radio and radar
contact?". If you're comfortable with the answer, then go ahead and
take the deal the controller is offering. If you don't think you can do
it, then you've got to do things the official way and talk to FSS.

Of course, if you're worried about terrain, there's nothing that
prevents you from flying the IFR DP on your own. Yo don't need a
clearance to do that. But, yes, I understand that that's sort of
peripheral to your original question.