Old January 6th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Engine Shop Selection (was 'showing metal @ 1,100)

That's interesting. I always hear about the top end overhaul which
makes sense for an engine with a lot of time and losing compression.
The bottom end checkup would probably make sense at this time. The
Magnaflux to check for cracks and doing whatever is required to fix those.

BTW, I've found my 5+ year collection of LPM to be invaluable in
understanding the terminology, procedures and practices surrounding
engine work.

wrote:
Depending on who does the work, the word "overhaul" means different

things to
different people. In a regulatory sense, it's quite specific (e.g. accessories must
be overhauled, etc). Realistically, if you're splitting the case halves anyway, you
might as well do the "difficult" part of the overhaul as part of your exploratory.
Send the steel parts off to have the magnafluxed, and replace all the bottom end parts
you need to. Think hard about the cam if it (unlikely) doesn't *need* to be
replaced.... probably want to anyway. In any event, a quickie bottom-end "overhaul"
isn't that expensive. I wouldn't do the jugs or accessories if not necessary...
they're easy to do on the plane later.