Old January 17th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Sticking Lycoming O-360 valve again?

nrp wrote:
: Is it rough running at all? or does it feel just weak in general?

Not really. Possibly very slight, but in general just weak. It's kinda hard
to tell since the 4-banger always rocks and rolls a bit.

: Does the EGT behave normally? Your CHTs seem a little high even though
: they are sparkplug versions.
Again, it's a bit hard to tell on the EGT. I don't have an analyzer... just a
switched analog gauge. Last time I had time (i.e. in cruise) everything was
normal.... the EGT has a bit of a spread, but I chalk that up to a dissimilar air/fuel
ratio in the cylinders leaned for cruise.

As far as the CHT goes, when I first got the thing, I was worried about
bumping up against 400 all the time. I put a single bayonet probe in #3 and wired it
into the gauge on a switch. I verified that (at least on that cylinder) I read almost
75 degrees higher on the spark-plug probe vs. the bayonet in general. The bayonet
probe will read 300-325 in cruise at the same time the spark plug reads 375. Since
I've also got a multi-point Tannis heater, I seasonally remove the bayonet probe in
lieu of the heater for #3.

: Do you by chance have alcohol in your autofuel?

The current fuel in the tank is 100LL. I don't check every batch of autofuel,
but I generally check a sample every 4-6 months and I always get it from the same
station. Haven't found alcohol yet. When I first started running it I called the
distributor for the station and he says they never put alcohol in it.

: Do a proctology exam on the muffler.

"You will feel some slight discomfort..."

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *