Old February 15th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Default ?? Lift Reserve Indicator ??

Hmmm....

http://www.waldowrights.com/pictures.asp

Check out the 8th photo down, left hand column. Watever that thingy
is... I remember it being an airspeed indicator, but I could be wrong.
Its been a while.

I shared a hangar with these guys at Celebrate Freedon 2004 in Camden,
SC. Rob is a really nice guy and is only about 6'7". Dunno how he fits
in that plane. His tent was off to the left of Kermett Weeks' P51-C. I
was to the right and behind. The Berlin airlift Museum's C-54 was just
to the right of me. I went up with him and 3 other fellows at dusk on
Sunday night after the show. Extremely cool.

Any guesses on who invented the vane-type AOA? I'm gonna have to look
that one up. I know that Orville was working with similar devices from
about 1909 through the 1920's. Early Wright machines were extremely
pitch sensitive. Most had an AOA window of -2 to +10 degrees. Any more
or less could, and frequently did, mean death.

Harry