Old March 10th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default final glide estimates

wrote:
Hmm, anybody read the AIM carefully lately? Especially the part where
the FAA defines a "low pass"?

Looks like the FAA actually condones low passes - and tells you how to
do them!

....as low approaches, in the context of go-arounds from practice
instrument procedures. [AIM 4-3-12]

If you think the FAA is defining/approving low passes by gliders at
uncontrolled airports, that is something we shouldn't wish for. It might
be hard to convince them that the 500' rule shouldn't apply.

I like low passes just fine -- those worms which are not used for bait
deserve a little warm-up -- but let's not stretch too far looking for
approval. You know what happens when you seek permission.

Jack