Old March 20th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Have you ever flown\owned a Mooney?

I own a Mooney and love it. A couple things I would note...

1) The Mooney is not for short pilots. I'm 6'4" and cannot use the rear
couple sit positions. A friend of mine is 5'10" and has very limited in
flight visibility over the glareshield and must fly with the seat all
the way forward. You can get rudder extensions and cushions but as is,
its for tall pilots.

2) The Mooney baggage door is awesome if you like to load em high. I
travel with my wife and kids and there have been times when the taxi
driver had trouble loading all the luggage in the taxi, but we can
always get it in the Mooney. When I had the Debonair I had to load the
first few bags through the little side door and the rest over the top
of the back seat. With the Mooney you load it from the top and you can
easily load it all the way to the top. For guys that only bring one or
two bags, its probably more work but for those of us that need to stack
em high, it works great.

3) It has great range. When you go down to southern Baja you'll find
that over half the planes down there are Mooneys. Most Mooneys come
stock with about 6.5 hours of fuel till the engine quits. I added the
fuel computer to better manager and I've flown close to 8 hours w/o
being able to find gas.

4) Good high/low performance. I've landed one some pretty small strips
in Mexico and can come in pretty slow, but I can also keep up with the
737's on final if necessary.

5) Simple gear. I have the electric gear but even that is probably the
simpilest gear system you'll find out there. We always had trouble with
leaks in the Arrow. In the Mooney its just one motor and one
transmission that works all 3 gear at once.

6) Not hard to fly. I've tought people to fly Mooneys that haven't
flown in decads and have even trained student pilots to fly the Mooney.
If you can control your airspeed you probably won't find the Mooney to
be difficult to fly at all.

7) Because it sits low, getting in and out is more difficult. In a
Bonanza you sit up, like in a truck, in the Mooney you sit low, like in
a sports car with your legs in front of you. It is more difficult to
get in/out of than a C182 but you're going faster on less gas. If you
want to carry people in the back, the models F and beyond have an extra
10' in the back (just like the Arrow did in 71). I've sat in the back
seat with another full size male before and its doable. No more tight
than the 182.

8) The best part may be the bullet proof IO-360 motor. Its only 200 hp
but it probably the most reliable engine ever made. I don't have to
replace cylinders every 1000 hours as the C182's and Bonanzas tend to
lean towards.

Anyway, not to be a sales person but I enjoy my Mooney.

-Robert