Old June 6th 04, 03:21 PM
S Green

wrote in message ...

Julian Scarfe wrote:

10ish years after overlay GPS approaches were introduced in the US, we

in
the UK still have no GPS approaches. There must be a considerable body

of
evidence collected on accidents, incidents and anomalies over the period
that GPS approaches have been in use. In particular, there may be

evidence
that GPS approaches have improved overall safety in non-precision
approaches.

Any pointers please?

No pointers. Emprically, I'd say they are working great in the US. The

issue
is politics, not safety.

tend to agree. Look who controls the GPS infrastructure. without assurances
that the integrity of the system was not at the whim of the US Department of
Defence, I cannot see the UK authorities being prepared to rely on GPS.
Ultimately this does become a safety issue.

What the US authorities do in their own country and to their own airspace
system is one thing, doing it in someone else's is another.