Old June 12th 04, 03:31 PM
Stan Prevost

wrote in message ...
But, one of the DUAT vendors, I don't recall
which one off-hand, makes it pretty easy by requesting a single location

briefing
and including FDC NOTAMs specific to that location. It you err and

include general
FDC NOTAMs you end up with all that mostly useless BS.

DTC DUAT has that feature. However, it has pitfalls.

You must know the identifier to use to get NOTAMs, and it is not always the
airport identifier. For example, a nearby (to me) airport 5M0 has an
instrument approach but no weather reporting. If you use the "Specific
Location" feature of DUAT with identifier 5M0 in an attempt to find NOTAMs
for that airport, you will get an error message that it is not a valid
weather reporting identifier. The way around this is to use the identifier
lookup feature on the Specific Location page (the binoculars over the
"Location ID" box). Enter the airport identifier (or name) into the lookup
dialog box and you will get a response that gives you the identifier to use
to get NOTAMs. It will usually be the AFSS serving that airport if there is
no weather reporting from that airport. For 5M0 NOTAMS, I would use ANB as
the identifier in the "Specific Locations" Location ID box.

Seems like the software ought to look up the proper ID for NOTAMS and use
that. I discussed this at length with the DTC folks at Oskosh last year,
and once they understood the confusing aspect of this for someone just
wanting to look up NOTAM info, they seemed interested in changing it. But
so far, nothing.

Another problem is that even when you enter the correct ID to get NOTAMs for
a specific airport, there may be no NOTAMs for that airport, but you will
still get a long list of NOTAMs for navaids, GPS, LORAN, and airports
hundreds of miles away, even selecting just NOTAMs and FDC NOTAMs,
deselecting General FDC NOTAMs and everything else. You have to use your
browser text search feature to see if there is anything for the airport of
interest embedded in that long list.

Stan