Old April 26th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default winch pull of plane into hanger

I am back to pulling the warrior back into the hanger with a winch. I
tried modifying a small briggs and stratton powered "mule" to the
cherokee towbar attachment but could not get the control I wanted.

So now, I need the experience of anyone else who has rigged up a winch
with extended control. I have a Harbor Freight winch which will do
just fine to pull a warrior up a slight incline but the switch which
controls the direction of the spool has a 6 foot wire. I want to stand
in front of the plane with the towbar in hand to do the guiding. This
means I need something like a 50 foot extension to the switch control
wire, doable but clumsy using a 4 conductor cable with #14 wires. I
could rig up a smaller wire system with relays and transformers, etc
but that gets even more clumsy and prone to failure. I have thought
about standing in the hanger at the back of the plane and controling
the winch with the exsisting setup but then I lose the steering option
I have from the front. It should be mentioned that I have 8 inches
outside of each wingtip to the i-beams. Easily doable but with a
pucker factor component.

I would like to hear from anyone who has a similar rigup and how
suggestions to living with the system, especially if you have tought of
something different. Thanks, Leo