Old July 3rd 04, 07:15 PM
Mitchell Gossman

Default Changing course to do sightseeing - practical (with clearance) when IFR?

Flying one of the kids on an IFR flight plan with decent VMC, she
asked to circle some landmarks in Minneapolis/St. Paul Class B. I
found myself saying "cancel IFR, request clearance to remain in class
B with traffic advisories for some sightseeing". No problem, I
remained on same squawk with the freedom to navigate as I requested.
But would I have been able to remain IFR to circle those landmarks if
I asked, e.g. "Request clearance to circle XYZ at 2500, right turns"
and said nothing about altering the flight plan?

Mitch Gossman