Old May 11th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Transponder replacement suggestions

On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:09:47 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

skym wrote:
: I'll admit to some lack of knowledge here but, other than the Mode S
: ability of the Garmin 330, aren't xpdrs pretty much just a one trick
: pony? I.e., they just receive a radar signal and reply. Why would a
: Garmin 327 be any better than any other?

That's sorta my thought. Transponders are irritating because they do not do
anything that's *directly* useful to the pilot. They simply allow you to operate in
airspace or get services you otherwise wouldn't be able to. I have no doubt that any
of the new units will function just fine, but bells and whistles on a transponder just
seem kinda silly to me.

The new ones that show pressure altitude are nice, but I've got my encoder
rigged into my VFR GPS, so I can see it there just as well. Push-buttons are nice,
but not worth much extra dollars IMO.

I doubt that I'll be able to do a slide-in replacement because I will want to
add the DME suppression line... which is unavailable on the KT-76's connector.

I haven't heard much good about Narco stuff from lots of people who've had to
deal with service. Maybe that's changed? I do like the fact that they provide
installation information on many items on their webpage. Bendix/King really irritates
me in that respect.

My current thought is to either go with a bare-bones new unit like the Garmin
GTX-320, or maybe an older solid-state unit like the KT-79. That's about the same
vintage as the rest of the radios in my stack (KY-197, KN-53, KNS-80). Reworking the
tray isn't a big deal to me.

If you really don't care about Mode S get a KT76C. Check with the
shop to be sure but if memory serves it's pin and tray compatible with
the 73 and is just mode C. 5 minute swap.