Old May 14th 06, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default Learning from an owner annual

Good maintenance takes time and time equals money. There is
too much poor maintenance, sometimes because the aircraft
owner just doesn't have the money to do the work and
sometimes because the shop, trying to keep cost down cuts
corners. All aircraft owners should have the basic library
of the shop manuals and FAA regs in parts 43 and 91. The
FAA manual 43.13 [latest edition and all parts] as well as
some of the mechanics handbooks that are on the commercial
market will help the owner do a better job and save money
[and maybe lives] in the long run.

You will understand more about your airplane, why certain
parts are cheaper to replace anytime you have access to
them, such as alternator belts when the prop is off. You'll
know why it costs $30 in labor to put 15 cents worth of
grease in a landing gear bushing.

As you're doing the owner assisted annual, have the A&P
point out the things you can do as an owner as preventative
maintenance and how to make the logbook entry. Things like
lubrication and cleaning, replacing light bulbs and such
will save you money and reduce wear and tear on the
airplane. You have to use the right grease and oils, not 3
in 1 from the grocery store. You can also get some aircraft
grade cotter pins and safety wire and replace those that are
damaged or missing.

Buy your A&P some of his favorite ______ or take him [and
maybe his wife too] to a nice place to eat, like Outback or
whatever is good locally. Say Thank You, mechanics don't
hear that often enough.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
| After 6 years of Mooney ownership I'm doing my first owner
assisted
| annual. Most of my previous annuals have been done by
factory service
| centers. I'm quite a good wrench around cars so this
experience is
| mostly about me learning the standards & practices of
aircraft work.
| I'm amazed by a couple things...
| 1) The number of things I found that were not done that
I'd paid to
| have done at previous annuals.
| 2) The number of things done wrong (like no cotter key in
the wheel).
| 3) The amount of work an annual really requires. It took
me 6 hours
| just to remove all the inspection panels (including
drilling out
| several dozen screws). Lubing the 150 lube points wont go
too quick
| either.
|
| Its also interesting to me how many things are safety
wired while other
| things (that seem more important) are not. Brake calapers
are safety
| wired but fuel lines are not, etc. Its quite depressing to
see my plane
| in so many pieces. I've also discovered that its extreamly
irritating
| that the aircraft parts places are closed on weekends.
|
| I would highly recommend this experience to any aircraft
owner who is