Old May 30th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default A-6 crash after launch?

Charlie Wolf wrote:
On 28 May 2006 21:50:35 -0700, "Mike Weeks" wrote:

Yofuri wrote:
Allen wrote:
In article ,
Bob Moore wrote:

Allen Epps wrote

This the S-1 video through the wave you were looking at?

http://tinyurl.com/jjjo5

What is (was) an S-1?

From the web:

The skipping of the P-1 designation in the 1962 Joint designation scheme
was most likely due to the fact that it was convenient to redesignate the
P2V, P3V, P4Y, and P5M to P-2, P-3, P-4, and P-5, respectively. 28. Similar
to note 27, the S-1 designation was most likely skipped out of the
convenience of renaming the S2F to S-2 and continuing from there.

Bob Moore
S-2F NAS Kingsville 1959

Accck of course I meant C-1

Pugs

The MAD boom in the tail makes that photo an S-2.

As do the tail markings, if I saw them correctly; "NS" (CVSG-53 -
which didn't operate from Tico until the 1970s.). That's either VS-21,
-29, or -35.

Mike - see my other post below. I am almost certain that it was VS-38
which would have been CVSG-59 (I think) I was in the squadron at the
time, but this goes back many years and many flight hours ago for me
(and many brain cells destroyed) - I could be mistaken.

Glad you posted Charlie; based on what you've stated and reviewing the
video snip again, that indeed could be "NT", and not "NS" on the S-2's
tail. I just wish we knew the date of the deck launch (or at least the
specific period.) Once Tico became the only ASW deck, then it got
really hairly attempting to determine assignments.

BTW, for anyone; why a deck launch in the first place? Was it part of
CQing since the S-2/C-1 "could" deck launch? You can't help but notice
that long straight white line painted down Tico's deck ...

MW