Old June 1st 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

Default Defense against UAV's

wrote:

:
:Jack Linthicum wrote:
:
wrote:
: Jack Linthicum wrote:
: ...
: The mention was of swarms which implies swarms of signals
: not necessarily, if mostly autonomous UAVs are used
:
: which then implies if I have an ECM craft up and I get lots of radiation from one
: direction I will send a message to that source. The decoys may work the
: second time but not the first or third.
: ??
:
: The control point will be that, singular, one command directing all of the UAVs
: from one spot.
: Ever heard of fiber optics communications? Set-up multiple cheap
: antennas for communication, and link them with fiber optics to your
: safe hidden command centre. Why you guys always assume that the bad
: boys are dumb beyond recognition alludes me...
:
: What the hell is an autonomous UAV?
:An UAV that can fly itself using an autopilot (see cruise missiles) to
redefined destination,

This much is doable.

:look around and try to see and identify ships

You just departed our current reality.

:and perhaps asks the controller for help in making crucial decisions
attack/ignore/move elsewehere).
:
: and to what purpose?
:Increase survivablilty/success of the system. Little, low bandwidth
:communication = difficult to detect & jam.
:
: You need a unique signal for each aircraft otherwise they will all turn left at
: the same time.
:You are still thinking 'remote controlled airplane'. Think 'remote
:command'. The UAVs are capable of flying themselves, they just might
:need advice from time to time. You don't tell each single aircraft what
:to do exactly, you just send a message to the whole swarm: "20% of you
:attack the ship, priorities ar A,B,C, the rest go to box [X,Y] and
:search for targets there" Each UAV rolls a dice, if it is in the 20%,

And what do you do if they all roll '1'? How do you even know?

:it rolls a dice to choose among the identifiable targets on the ship
phased arrays, CIWS radars, bridge, aircraft on deck, catapult).

Back into another universe.

:They
:actual flying and execution of the commands is done autonomously. (It
:will be a bit more complicated, but this is the basic idea.)

A 'bit more complicated' indeed - to the point of requiring sensors
and software that don't exist in our universe running on hardware we
can't build.

: On the first shot you may hit a bunch of decoys but also
: the target or targets. Especially if the decoys must be deployed under
: the control of the central command. Second time the decoys may stay on
: and the command freqs shut down. Third time no one cares and fires
: enough weapons to take care of the site and the decoys.
:No decoys needed. The UAVs themselves are cheap enough so that would be
:waste. Perhpas you can have a hi/lo mix of UAVs with high end
:sensors/UAVs with cheapo sensors (as the sensors are likely the
:costliest part of the UAV), the cheapo UAVs acting as a sort of decoys
but still being able to inflict damage, just with a bit lower
robability.)

You REALLY need to get out more and stop watching so many movies.

: I have heard of fiber optic communications, those antennas will still
: radiate
:With autonomous UAVs, the radiation will be intermittent and low
:bandwidth. Using spread spectrum/frequency agility or whatever, it
:will be difficult to pick up out of the noise. And antennas are cheap
:and you can have plenty of them....

Yes, "or whatever" seems to paper over a massive quantity of
technological unlikelihoods and impossibilities.

: It's the occupation afterwards that is the sticking point.
:Well, I don't think US will be dumb enough to try to occupy Iran. But
:with Dubya you never know....

As if you hadn't said enough dumb**** things....

-- Thomas Jefferson